Effie's Banana cake
From Eric's Recipes
Effie first made this cake for us in "the white house" when we visited for Mom's funeral. It made us all feel better for a few minutes. I got the recipe from Bellina, but there are a few translation problems. My comments in ().
- 3 cans concentrated milk (Sweetened Condensed Milk)
- 2 cups Creme Fresh from bakery (I used Heavy Cream)
- Bisquick sugarless (Only had regular Bisquick at the store)
- 2/3 cup of milk
- 1 egg
- 2 TBSP sugar
- 3 chocolate bars
- sweet liquor (I used Godiva Liquor)
- Boil 3 cans of concentrated milk for 2 hours. (I used a double boiler for this.)
- Stir every 5-10 minutes.
Base of Cake
- Pre-heat oven to 400.
- Combine 2 cups of Bisquick, milk, egg, and sugar in a bowl.
- Stir until smooth.
- Poor in large casserole dish and spread evenly.
- Cook for about 20 minutes or until golden brown.
- Test center with a knife or toothpick.
- Let cool and then spread a little liquor all over top of cake to soak in.
- When milk finishes boiling, take off heat and let cool.
- Whip heavy cream until very thick.
- Mix heavy cream into milk a little at a time.
- Stir well.
- Pour milk mixture on top of cake.
- Refrigerate over night.
- Garnish with banana slices and shaved chocolate.
- Effie never specified how to boil the milk. Some internet searches revealed there are a number of methods, but I chose to go with this as it was the safest and most likely what Effie did.
- Bellina had a hard time describing the cream. Her words were "Creme Fresh" but I believe she meant Fresh unpasteurized Cream from a baker. I wasn't able to find this, so I went with ultra-pasteurized Heavy Cream. This is harder to make thick, but it did the trick.