Greek Lentil Soup
From Eric's Recipes
A Greek Lentil Soup inspired by what Mom used to make and this Simple Recipe.
- 1 lbs brown lentils
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 pinch oregano
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 cup vegetable stock
- salt and pepper
- Rinse the lentils well in a colander under running water.
- Sauté onion and garlic in pan with olive oil.
- Put lentils in the pan with the onion, garlic, and add bay leaves and oregano.
- Add enough water to cover everything plus another 1 or 2 cups.
- Bring to a boil and then simmer for at least 1 hour or until the lentils have become very tender.
- Once tender, add vinegar, salt and pepper and stir. Let cook for another 5 minutes to blend.
- If the water starts depleting too much, add more.
- 1 hour was a little too long. The lentils started to break apart.
- Day 2, after refrigeration, it was even better!